Saturday 7 November 2015

Osprey Black Ops on the desk.

Hi Chaps,

It's been a great week! Most days are damned good but a couple of days this week got elevated to awesome. Osprey have done it again with their ruleset Black Ops which on first read through is very interesting-not because of the Black Ops nature of the game but because of the potential of the system it employs.

Anyone who has spent any amount of time in the forces knows that every task you undertake is thought out, planned and executed as cleanly and professionally as possible. Whilst I would not describe the whole scene as a Black Op most operations have the same planning....

I digress. The book is very well written and I hope that a standard war games version is published along with army lists. This system is really interesting and made me dig out some old 20mm US plastic figures to experiment with-I simply cannot afford to start another project in any other scale with Christmas on the way...bah humbug etc etc.





There is no getting away from the fact that these Chaps are cheap 20mm plastic but they have brushed up OK, there is a Bradley from Fabbri on the way as cheapo support as well. If things go well with the rules I may splash out on some Elheim figures which look incredible. Britannia (Grubby tanks) can supply the rest in the form of civilians and a T62, .


My desk is a mess at the moment which is a pet hate of mine, even the addition of a paint rack has not helped though my mood has been lifted by the arrival of some Tau figures. i do not game 40K and to be honest I only paint the miniatures to provide a change to my normal painting habits. The 40K figures are growing in number though! nearly 30 Space Marines and now Tau to go at!


The small plastic card accompanies me to car boots, charity shops and pound shops all the time....this is the second such device as the first went awol. It is 30mm tall and has small nicks in it to show 20 and 23mm....useful for measuring vehicles! This prevents me from amassing boxes full of toy cars that will never see use. I must mention that I have never found a tank suitable for 28mm in poundland yet everyone else is turning them up by the bucketload! Whats going on??



Well have a good week Chaps, I enjoy reading about your exploits, keep blogging and I hope you enjoyed getting a view of my little piece of heaven that is my painting table.

6 comments:

  1. I think the tanks are £2 each in 20mm scale from The Works, not Poundland. They have 28mm AFV's at £10 each.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, my only trip out today is Poundland! I will definitely track these down. Thanks again

      Delete
  2. If you get enough Tau and Space Marines together, you could always game with them using different rules. I heartily recommend FUBAR, which is a free one-page rules set. Someone has done army lists for all the 40K armies for it.

    Alternatively, Craig Cartmell, who wrote In Her Majesty's Name, did an earlier free game called In The Emperors Name, which was for squad/warband skirmishes in the 40K universe. Should still be knocking around the interwebs somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this Doc! The Emperors name sounds just like what I have been looking for....40K is an expensive game to get into ... the figures are great but the rule books are shocking!

      Delete
  3. Loving the Black Ops team, great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael-they were cheap! I also have some cheap armour on the way. The wargaming Gods look after the impoverished gamer.

      Delete